This blog is in memory of our beloved Border Collie Tippy who died on July 28th 2010. Every Sunday over the course of the next few months I will post memories and pictures of her life with us, both as a working farm dog, family pet, best friend and work mate.







Sunday 2 January 2011

Dogs Are Good For Your Well-being.

'Studies have shown that patients who are in contact with dogs after hospital treatment or illness have a faster recovery time'.
Waiting by the car.

The above was taken from 'The Dog Lover's Bible' written by Malini Roy and my reason for including it in a memorial blog to Tippy is that at this time seven years ago I discovered that I was suffering from a serious life threatening illness. Whilst I'm not going to claim that it was Tippy alone who made me better, I don't even know if she had any effect at all in curing me but at the time Vicki was working nights at the nursing home and as any of you who have suffered from similar or had worrying things on your mind the dark hours are the worst. So it was a great comfort to me to be able to reach out and find Tippy there by my side. She never said a word nor asked for any but somehow you knew that she understood. During the process of getting better I needed to make lots of trips to the hospital, many on a daily basis and Tippy kept just about every appointment enduring many hours of patiently waiting quietly in the car for our return.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure Tippy played an important role in your health.

    Not sure if you can get this book in England, but this post reminds me of Jon Katz's, book Izzy & Lenore. It is about the amazing therapy work his lab and border collie do with hospice patients. Izzy, the BC, profoundly understands what the terminally ill people need from her.

    ReplyDelete